About The Cook CountyTrauma & Burn Unit
Our Unit is one of the largest trauma units in the United States.
It was also one of the first comprehensive trauma units. In 1966, Dr. Robert Freeark and Dr. Robert Baker conceived of a comprehensive trauma unit. This unit would provide a continuum of care for all seriously injured trauma patients beginning in the prehospital and resuscitation phases, through operative and post-operative or post-injury care and continuing on to the outpatient and rehabilitation settings. All phases of care are represented among our medical staff. The patient is cared for by the same team of physicians from their initial encounter in the resuscitation area throughout their hospital stay. Continuing the theme of comprehensive care, the same trauma nursing team works in the Trauma Resuscitation area, the Trauma observation area, and the Trauma Intensive Care Unit.
Cook County Trauma & Burn is a Center of Excellence within Cook County Health & Hospitals System and strives to meet the critical standards as both a Level 1 Trauma Center & Burn Center.
Courses & Events
Attend a course
Courses will be added as information becomes available.
Show your support
Custom Embroidery and screen printing for Healthcare Professionals.
A continuum of care for all patients
Programs and classes offered through the American College of Surgeons, National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians (NAEMT) and American Burn Association can teach you a systematic, concise approach to the care of a trauma patient.
- The Baseball Report: Astros Tie Franchise Record, Bartolo Colon Passes Marichal
- Judge orders defense motion to toss indictment of 3 Chicago cops in Laquan McDonald case filed under seal
- Ring Of Honor Show At Famed Madison Square Garden Called Off
- Migrant Children At The Border – The Facts
- Lawsuit: Chicago Police Unfairly Target Thousands As Gang Members
- Man killed in Porter County crash
- Smoking Rates In U.S. Hit All-Time Low, CDC Says
- Bucks’ Sterling Brown sues Milwaukee over stun-gun arrest for parking violation
- Man Found Running Amok On Kennedy Expressway Tuesday Morning
- Police ask for help locating 24-year-old Darien man