About The Cook CountyTrauma & Burn Unit
Our Unit is one of the largest trauma units in the United States.
It was also one of the first comprehensive trauma units. In 1966, Dr. Robert Freeark and Dr. Robert Baker conceived of a comprehensive trauma unit. This unit would provide a continuum of care for all seriously injured trauma patients beginning in the prehospital and resuscitation phases, through operative and post-operative or post-injury care and continuing on to the outpatient and rehabilitation settings. All phases of care are represented among our medical staff. The patient is cared for by the same team of physicians from their initial encounter in the resuscitation area throughout their hospital stay. Continuing the theme of comprehensive care, the same trauma nursing team works in the Trauma Resuscitation area, the Trauma observation area, and the Trauma Intensive Care Unit.
Cook County Trauma & Burn is a Center of Excellence within Cook County Health & Hospitals System and strives to meet the critical standards as both a Level 1 Trauma Center & Burn Center.
Courses & Events
Attend a course
Courses will be added as information becomes available.
Show your support
Custom Embroidery and screen printing for Healthcare Professionals.
A continuum of care for all patients
Programs and classes offered through the American College of Surgeons, National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians (NAEMT) and American Burn Association can teach you a systematic, concise approach to the care of a trauma patient.
- The Chicago Cubs Schedule Grateful Dead Night At Wrigley
- Roseanne Barr Attempts to Explain Racist Tweet in Expletive-Filled Rant
- Cases Handled By Two Indicted Chicago Cops Being Dropped
- NFL Pauses National Anthem Policy
- ‘I Didn’t Know It’s Illegal’; Texas Woman Sentenced For Pilfering Conchs
- This Weekend’s Meow Meetup Is Catnip For Cat Lovers
- 107-Year-Old Gets Birthday Parade As Her Final Wish
- Ohio State Says 100 Ex-Students Report Sexual Misconduct By Doctor
- Airbus Completes First Test Flight Of Beluga ‘Flying Whale’
- Armed Carjacking Reported in Bucktown Friday Afternoon