About The Cook CountyTrauma & Burn Unit
Our Unit is one of the largest trauma units in the United States.
It was also one of the first comprehensive trauma units. In 1966, Dr. Robert Freeark and Dr. Robert Baker conceived of a comprehensive trauma unit. This unit would provide a continuum of care for all seriously injured trauma patients beginning in the prehospital and resuscitation phases, through operative and post-operative or post-injury care and continuing on to the outpatient and rehabilitation settings. All phases of care are represented among our medical staff. The patient is cared for by the same team of physicians from their initial encounter in the resuscitation area throughout their hospital stay. Continuing the theme of comprehensive care, the same trauma nursing team works in the Trauma Resuscitation area, the Trauma observation area, and the Trauma Intensive Care Unit.
Cook County Trauma & Burn is a Center of Excellence within Cook County Health & Hospitals System and strives to meet the critical standards as both a Level 1 Trauma Center & Burn Center.
Courses & Events
Attend a course
Courses will be added as information becomes available.
Show your support
Custom Embroidery and screen printing for Healthcare Professionals.
A continuum of care for all patients
Programs and classes offered through the American College of Surgeons, National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians (NAEMT) and American Burn Association can teach you a systematic, concise approach to the care of a trauma patient.
- Boy Hurt When Prop Falls From Carnival Ride In Midlothian; Woman Falls When Roller Coaster Derails In Plainfield
- It’s So Hot In Chicago, Your Parked Car Could Reach Nearly 130 Degrees In 30 Minutes
- Fans Descend On San Diego For The 50th Comic-Con
- Pitchfork Music Festival Providing Misting Tent, Free Bottled Water To Help Fans Beat The Heat This Weekend
- Chicago Weather: Excessive Heat Warning As Sweltering Conditions Move In
- Maya, A 38-Foot Tall Agave Plant, Is Blooming At Garfield Park Conservatory For First And Only Time
- Boat Seller Says Cal Side Marina Holding Boat Hostage In Dispute Over Engine Repairs; ‘They’re Crooks’
- Boeing 737 Max Could Stay Grounded Until 2020, But Some Airlines Still Booking On Fall Return
- Brendt Christensen Sentenced To Life In Prison For The Murder Of Yingying Zhang
- Boy, 9, Injured After Carnival Ride Accident In Midlothian