About The Cook CountyTrauma & Burn Unit
Our Unit is one of the largest trauma units in the United States.
It was also one of the first comprehensive trauma units. In 1966, Dr. Robert Freeark and Dr. Robert Baker conceived of a comprehensive trauma unit. This unit would provide a continuum of care for all seriously injured trauma patients beginning in the prehospital and resuscitation phases, through operative and post-operative or post-injury care and continuing on to the outpatient and rehabilitation settings. All phases of care are represented among our medical staff. The patient is cared for by the same team of physicians from their initial encounter in the resuscitation area throughout their hospital stay. Continuing the theme of comprehensive care, the same trauma nursing team works in the Trauma Resuscitation area, the Trauma observation area, and the Trauma Intensive Care Unit.
Cook County Trauma & Burn is a Center of Excellence within Cook County Health & Hospitals System and strives to meet the critical standards as both a Level 1 Trauma Center & Burn Center.
Courses & Events
Attend a course
Courses will be added as information becomes available.
Show your support
Custom Embroidery and screen printing for Healthcare Professionals.
A continuum of care for all patients
Programs and classes offered through the American College of Surgeons, National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians (NAEMT) and American Burn Association can teach you a systematic, concise approach to the care of a trauma patient.
- Hundreds Attend Funeral For Fashion Designer Kate Spade
- Karen Lewis Retiring As President Of Chicago Teachers’ Union
- ‘Shoot Them All At The Border’: DMV Employee Investigated For Facebook Comment
- Accused Cop Killer Jackie Wilson Granted Release Ahead Of New Trial
- Hard Rock Casino’s 30-Foot Guitar Sign Includes Giant Typo
- Paul McCartney And James Corden Drive Through Liverpool On ‘Carpool Karaoke’
- Disturbing News Costs U.S. Companies $43.6 Million Every Minute
- Former Blackhawks Players File Lawsuit Against NHL
- Rain Totals For June 20-22, 2018
- Panel: Teamsters At Disney World Violated Labor Law