City of Chicago Steps Up Efforts to Curb Violence

CPD steps up efforts during July 4 weekend to curb gun violence 

Chicago police plan advanced their presence across the city during the Fourth of July holiday weekend.
CPD plans to deploy 5,000 officers over the weekend, and a Friday night raid nabbed nearly 90 people wanted on warrants and other violations.
“We have a tremendous out of resources dedicated to protecting the city this weekend,” said John Escalante, 1st deputy superintendent. “We want to make a safe of weekend as possible for the residents of this city and for the visitors because this is a big tourist weekend as well.”
Sunday evening on Navy Pier, one of the city’s most popular tourist attractions, security was beefed up.
“I see a lot of police so if anything pops off, police are going to get you because there’s a lot of police,” said tourist Eric Friar.
Earlier on Saturday, community leaders gathered at Stroger Hospital calling for peace for the Fourth of July and beyond.
“Individuals ought to be free to sit on their porches and observe the day without the threat of somebody coming by, spraying their picnic with semi automatic and automatic weapons,” said U.S. Rep. Danny Davis, D-Chicago.
So far this year, 315 people have been murdered – up from 211 this time last year.
“Chicago has a Sandy Hook and Orlando every month,” said Rev. Jesse Jackson, of the Rainbow PUSH Coalition.
“We can build a lot of trauma units but that is probably not the right answer. It is the most expensive way to deal with the problem,” said Dr. Faran Bokhari, of Stroger Hospital.
Chicago police said they’re working to prevent crime before it happens by conducting raids and taking gang members off the streets.
“We are always looking to see what works and what doesn’t,” said Escalante. “And what works, we try to build on.”
Police said that if their efforts don’t curb violence Saturday night, they plan to reassess their efforts for the rest of the weekend.
As of Saturday evening, a man was killed and nine others were wounded in shootings across Chicago since Friday evening at the start of the Fourth of July holiday weekend.
The fatal attack also left another man wounded early Saturday in the East Garfield Park neighborhood on the West Side, according to Chicago police.

A man was standing outside an auto repair shop about 3:30 a.m. in the 700 block of North California Avenue when a gunman came out of an alley and opened fire, a police source said. The man was shot in the neck and pronounced dead at the scene.

Family members identified him as 31-year-old Hector Badillo Jr. The Cook County medical examiner’s office could not immediately provide more information.
A 44-year-old man was also wounded in the shooting. He was in a car when a bullet came through the door, striking him in the left leg, police said. His was taken to Stroger Hospital where his condition stabilized.
The most recent nonfatal shooting happened early Saturday in the Heart of Chicago neighborhood. About 3:40 a.m., someone in a dark colored vehicle passing in the 2200 block of West 18th Place shot a 23-year-old man in the leg, police said. He was taken to Stroger Hospital, where his condition was stabilized.
A couple hours earlier, a 27-year-old man was shot in the South Side Englewood neighborhood. The man told investigators he was driving about 1:30 a.m. in the 400 block of West 75th when he heard gunfire and realized he’d been shot in the wrist. He took himself to University of Chicago Medical Center, where he was in good condition, police said.
A 39-year-old man was shot in the right shoulder and hand about 12:50 a.m. in Austin’s 5200 block of West Quincy on the West Side, police said. His condition was stabilized at Mount Sinai Hospital, but police said he was not cooperating with investigators.
Late Friday, a 49-year-old man was shot in the Lawndale neighborhood on the West Side. About 11:30 p.m., he was reaching into his parked vehicle in the 4200 block of West Cermak when he heard gunfire followed by a vehicle speeding away and realized he was shot in the left arm, police said. He took himself to Mount Sinai Hospital where he was listed in good condition.
A 33-year-old man was shot less than an hour earlier while he was walking in the South Shore neighborhood. About 10:40 p.m., a black car pulled up to the man in the 7200 block of South Phillips and someone inside shot him in the right leg, police said. He took himself to South Shore Hospital in good condition.
Just five minutes earlier, a 17-year-old girl was wounded in a West Side Austin neighborhood shooting. She was outside in the 5100 block of West Fulton about 10:35 p.m. when someone came out from an alley and shot her in the foot. She was taken in good condition to West Suburban Medical Center in Oak Park, police said.
A 16-year-old boy was shot about 8:45 p.m. in the South Side Woodlawn neighborhood. He was walking in the 800 block of East 62nd when he heard shots and realized he’d been struck. He suffered a gunshot wound to the leg, and his condition was stabilized at Stroger Hospital.
The weekend’s first shooting left an 18-year-old wounded Friday evening in West Englewood on the South Side. He was shot in the neck at 5:25 p.m. in the 5700 block of South Bishop and later showed up at St. Bernard Hospital, police said. He was transferred to Stroger Hospital in serious condition.
In 2015, 10 people were killed and 53 others were wounded in shootings over the July 4 holiday weekend.
Shootings over the Fourth of July weekend will be updated on the shooting tracker as they are confirmed.